We’ve had a ton of fun watching Gears fans getting hands on with the Rise of the Horde update over the past month. It’s been fascinating to see our fans discover new ways to conquer 50 waves using New Skills, while taking on the added challenge of Inconceivable and Ironman difficulties!
While you’re out there collecting the new Rise of the Horde Skills and levelling up your Classes, the Gears of War 4 train keeps rolling with our July Update releasing later today (July 5th)! On top of our two maps for the month – including some added Windflare surprises – there’s a whole bunch of events and characters to collect.
Check out the trailer above for the first footage of Raven Down and Reclaimed Windflare in action, then read on all the info!
Raven Down and Reclaimed Windflare
This month brings back the classic action of Raven Down with the new challenge of fighting it out in a windflare with Reclaimed Windflare!
The fast and furious action of Gears of War 1’s Raven Down is crash landing into Gears of War 4! Set on a tight intersection with a crashed King Raven in the middle, combat on this map is up close and personal – frags can help you to get an edge in combat, but this map is all about your core Gears combat skills.
The peaceful farm setting of Reclaimed is about to be ravaged by a Windflare! Previously only available in the campaign experience, Windflares are incredibly powerful storms that culminate in the fearsome stormwall with lightning bolts that can fry you in seconds.
As you play in Versus and Horde, the Windflare will periodically roll into the map, challenging you to battle your enemies and the elements. You’ll need to master movement in the strong winds and judge your aim with projectile weapons well in the wind. As the stormwall hits, prepare to dodge lightning bolts that target players – look for the telltale sizzle to know when to move!
Both maps will be available to play later today for Season Pass holders in the Developer Playlist, complete with Double XP and 20% Bonus Credits. Raven Down and Reclaimed Windflare will be free for all players in Public Matchmaking beginning July 12th.
Coming This Month
Before the emergence of the Locust Horde, Cole was a hugely famous Thrashball star – long before he was a star in the COG battling the Locust (and now the Swarm). This month, you can relive Cole’s glory days with the release of Superstar Cole in an upcoming Gear Pack!
Keeping in the off-duty theme, this month’s Craftable Character will be Civilian Anya – find her early in our Gear Packs before her release later this month.
Continuing this month, there’s a bunch of new events for Gears fans to sink their chainsaw teeth into:
- Raven Down 24/7: To celebrate the release of the ever popular Raven Down, we’ll be running Raven Down 24/7 across multiple game modes later this month!
- More for Horde Players: We recently released a new variant of Horde called ‘Anything Goes’, which pits you against 50 waves of randomized enemies. We’ll have another new Horde event for fans to take on later this month.
Stay tuned for more news, including the first information on Ranked Season 2, coming throughout July. See you online Gears fans.
- Players shot at point-blank range in cover will no longer receive reduced damage
- Players can no longer survive under the avalanche on Avalanche
- Players can no longer capture the rings in KOTH on Avalanche from below the balconies
- Fixed an exploit allowing players to keep weapons after a change in Arms Race
- Fixed an issue where players could leave a Ranked Lobby just as they join one without being aware, resulting in a suspension
- Updated Palace Guard dialogue to match their intended voice
- Improved Oscar's dialogue tuning to match improvements for other characters in the Rise of the Horde update
- Horde: Reduced effectiveness of spawn manipulation on Security
- Horde: The Sniper's 'Called Shot' mark ability now works when using a turret
- Horde: A Scout using Cloak will not break Cloak by roadie running in cover
- Horde: Enemies killed by Explosive Headshots will no longer reset the Magic Bullet Multiplier
- Improvements to the Lightning Weapon Skin set animation
- Fixed display issues with YJeter's Lancer Skin
- Added 21 new Country Emblems (available in Gear Packs and Craftable)
- Miscellaneous fixes and improvements