NO PURCHASE NECESSARY.
COMMON TERMS USED IN THESE RULES:
These are the official rules that govern how the Microsoft Gears Community – Weapon Design Contest promotion will operate (“Contest”). In these rules, “we,” “our,” and “us” refer to Microsoft Corporation, the sponsor of the Contest. “You” refers to an eligible Contest entrant.
This Contest will be governed by the laws of the State of Washington, and you consent to the exclusive jurisdiction and venue of the courts of the State of Washington for any disputes arising out of this Contest. Subject to all local laws.
This is a skill-based Contest. The object of this contest is to find the best designed Gears of War 4 Gnasher weapon skin as determined by an expert judging panel as well as the Xbox community. All eligible entries received will be judged using the criteria described below to determine the prize winners.
WHAT ARE THE START AND END DATES?
This Contest starts at 5 p.m. Pacific Time (PT) on December 22, 2016, and ends at 11:59 p.m. PT on January 10, 2016. (“Entry Period”). Please see World Time Server for your local time.
Entries must be received within the Entry Period to be eligible.
CAN I ENTER?
You are eligible to enter this Contest if you meet the following requirements at time of entry:
· You are a legally registered member of the Gears of War community website and you are 18 years of age or older at the time of entry (“Entrant”); and
o Minors must have the permission of a parent or legal guardian, who must accept the Official rules on behalf of the minor; and
· You are NOT a resident of any of the following countries: Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, and Syria.
PLEASE NOTE: U.S. export regulations prohibit the export of goods and services to Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan and Syria. Therefore, residents of these countries / regions are not eligible to participate.
· You are NOT an employee of Microsoft Corporation or an employee of a Microsoft subsidiary; and
· You are NOT involved in any part of the administration and execution of this Contest; and
· You are NOT an immediate family (parent, sibling, spouse/domestic partner, child) or household member of a Microsoft employee, an employee of a Microsoft subsidiary, or a person involved in any part of the administration and execution of this Contest.
This Contest is void outside of the geographic area described above and wherever else prohibited by law.
HOW TO ENTER
To enter, you must do all of the following during the Entry Period:
1.) Visit https://www.gearsofwar.com/community/weaponskincomp to access the Gears of War 4 Lancer weapon which you must use as a base template for your design.
2.) Create a unique and creative weapon skin. The weapon skin should be themed to the look, feel and competitive nature of Gears of War eSports. Red or blue colors should make up less than 40% of the skin.
3.) Login to the Gears of War community website and submit a forum post on the official Contest thread and include a .jpg image of your design. The forum post you submit will be your entry.
Limit one entry per person and per Gears of War community account. We are not responsible for entries that we do not receive for any reason, or for entries that we receive but are not accessible or decipherable for any reason. We will automatically disqualify any excess, incomplete or illegible entries.
By submitting your entry, you are granting us an irrevocable, royalty-free, worldwide right and license to: (i) use, review, assess, test and otherwise analyze your entry and all its content in connection with this Contest and Microsoft products; (ii) feature your entry in connection with the marketing, sale, or promotion of or Microsoft products (including but not limited to internal and external sales meetings, conference presentations, tradeshows, and screen shots of the entry in press releases) in all media (now known or later developed).
By entering you acknowledge that the we may have developed or commissioned materials similar or identical to your entry and you waive any claims resulting from any similarities to your entry. Further you understand that we will not restrict work assignments of representatives who have had access to your entry and you agree that use of information in our representatives’ unaided memories in the development or deployment of our products or services does not create liability for us under this agreement or copyright or trade secret law.
Your entry may be posted on a public website. We are not responsible for any unauthorized use of your entry by visitors to this website. We are not obligated to use your entry for any purpose, even if it has been selected as a winning entry.
To be eligible for judging, an entry must meet the following content/technical requirements:
· Your entry must use the original template provided, listed in Step 1 under ‘How To Enter’
· Your entry must be your own original work
· You must have obtained any and all consents, approvals, or licenses required for you to submit your entry.
· Your entry must not otherwise violate the rights of any other person or company by using their trademarks, music, logos, names, or images without their express written consent.
· Entries may NOT contain, as determined by us, in our sole and absolute discretion, any content that is obscene, offensive; sexually explicit, derogatory of any ethnic, racial, gender, religious, professional or age group; promotes alcohol abuse, illegal drugs, tobacco, actual firearms/weapons (or the use of any of the foregoing) or a particular political agenda; defames, misrepresents or contains disparaging remarks about other people or companies or communicates messages or images inconsistent with the positive images and/or good will to which we wish to associate; and/or violates any law;
WINNER SELECTION AND PRIZES
On or around the close of the Entry Period, a panel of judges will select one potential (pending confirmation of eligibility) Grand Prize winner based on the following judging criteria:
60% Creative Design
40% Accuracy of Design to theme
In the event of a tie between any eligible entries, an additional judge will break the tie based on the judging criteria described above. The decisions of the judges are final and binding. If we do not receive a sufficient number of entries meeting the entry requirements, we may, at our discretion, select fewer winners than the number of Contest Prizes described below. During the public voting period, it is prohibited for any person to obtain votes by any fraudulent or inappropriate means, including offering prizes or other inducements in exchange for votes, automated programs or fraudulent i.d’s. Microsoft will void any questionable votes.
The winner will have an opportunity to have their design featured in Gears of War 4 as a weapon skin.
No substitution, transfer, or assignment of prize permitted, except that Microsoft reserves the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value in the event the offered prize is unavailable. \ By accepting a prize, you agree that Microsoft may use your entry, name, image and hometown online and in print, or in any other media, in connection with this Contest without payment or compensation to you, except where prohibited by law.
Potential winner will be notified by Private Message via the GearsofWar.com forum within seven (7) days following the judging. If the notification that we send is returned as undeliverable, or you are otherwise unreachable for any reason, we may award the prize to the next highest scoring entry, time allowing.
If there is a dispute as to who is the potential winner, we will consider the potential winner to be the authorized account holder of the e-mail address used to enter the Contest. If you are a potential winner, we may require you to sign an Affidavit of Eligibility, Liability/Publicity Release and a W-9 tax form or W-8 BEN tax form within 10 days of notification. If you complete a tax form, you will be issued an IRS Form 1099 the following January, for the actual value of the prize. You are advised to seek independent counsel regarding the tax implications of accepting a prize. If you are a potential winner and you are 14 or older, but are considered a minor in your place of legal residence, we may require your parent or legal guardian to sign all required forms on your behalf. If you do not complete the required forms as instructed and/or return the required forms within the time period listed on the winner notification message, we may disqualify you and select an alternate, randomly selected winner.
If you are confirmed as a winner of this Contest:
- You may not exchange your prize for cash or any other merchandise or services. However, if for any reason an advertised prize is unavailable, we reserve the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value; and
- You may not designate someone else as the winner. If you are unable or unwilling to accept your prize, we will award it to an alternate potential winner; and
- If you accept a prize, you will be solely responsible for all applicable federal, state, and local taxes related to accepting the prize; and
- If you are otherwise eligible for this Contest, but are considered a minor in your place of residence, we may award the prize to your parent/legal guardian on your behalf; and
- Unless otherwise noted, all prizes are subject to their manufacturer’s warranty and / or terms and conditions.
WHAT ARE YOUR ODDS OF WINNING?
Your odds of winning this Contest depend on the number of eligible entries we receive.
WHAT OTHER CONDITIONS ARE YOU AGREEING TO BY ENTERING THIS CONTEST?3
By entering this Contest you agree:
- To abide by these Official Rules; and
- To release and hold harmless Microsoft, and its respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, employees and agents from any and all liability or any injury, loss or damage of any kind arising from or in connection with this Contest or any prize won; and
· That Microsoft’s decisions will be final and binding on all matters related to this Contest; and
· That by accepting a prize, Microsoft may use of your proper name and state of residence online and in print, or in any other media, in connection with this Contest, without payment or compensation to you, except where prohibited by law.
WHAT IF SOMETHING UNEXPECTED HAPPENS AND THE CONTEST CAN’T RUN AS PLANNED?
If someone cheats, or a virus, bug, bot, catastrophic event, or any other unforeseen or unexpected event that cannot be reasonably anticipated or controlled, (also referred to as force majeure) affects the fairness and / or integrity of this Contest, we reserve the right to cancel, change or suspend this Contest. This right is reserved whether the event is due to human or technical error. If a solution cannot be found to restore the integrity of the Contest, we reserve the right to select winners from among all eligible entries received before we had to cancel, change or suspend the Contest.
If you attempt or we have strong reason to believe that you have compromised the integrity or the legitimate operation of this Contest by cheating, hacking, creating a bot or other automated program, or by committing fraud in ANY way, we may seek damages from you to the fullest extent permitted by law. Further, we may disqualify you, and ban you from participating in any of our future Contest, so please play fairly.
HOW CAN YOU FIND OUT WHO WON?
The winner will be posted online at https://www.gearsofwar.com/community within 7 days following winner selection and will remain for fourteen days.
WHO IS SPONSORING THIS CONTEST?
One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA 98052