Map of Sera (Links available)

Most up to date version of the map: 

Full: http://imgur.com/lVjj5JB 

No Lines: http://imgur.com/HuBNNYo 

If want the PSD file, I can see about getting you those as well.  

------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Original Post: 

I know a lot of folks were expecting this, especially since Speyer showcased the globe, but I finally decided to getting around to sketching a general map of Sera. The map below being an early rough draft. 

This was a quickie done in Gimp and used several references of that same globe to come with this first version. Now, for those of you familiar with the different map types, I designed this is as a Miller projection. What that means is that the proportions of objects, namely landmasses, are proportional to their true size while their shapes are distorted as the approach the poles. It was particularly difficult to find the right size and shape of the regions closer to the northern pole because I could only view the globe from a low angle. So I may have exaggerated somewhat just for the sake of having something there. 

Its not very detailed, as there wasn't much detail to start with, but this version serves merely as a visual reference for the major landmasses and bodies of water that cover the surface of the planet. I'll add further elements in order to construct a more visually pleasing representation later; maybe after TC rounds out all of the MP maps just to be sure they don't already have something else prepared. 

For now, dissect it as you wish.
So, can we be sure that all of Sera's landmass is actually connected together? Both the globe in Speyer and your map seem to suggest it but there were never any clear hints anywhere else that this is the case. I know this is not the finished version but I think it'd be nice to know whether this is actually how Sera looks like or if there are some regions that can only be reached by a ship or via air.
Kait as main character for Gears 5/6  

Taking a break from Gears 4 to relieve boredom and frustrations, so don't expect to see me on it anytime soon. Maybe for Horde Frenzy next weekend.  

No guarantee about Kait joining the Swarm.
Finally! I've been dying for a map (even a rough one) since I read the 1st novel. If the globe is a true representation of Sera, then I'm glad they're finally giving us something to go on. I only say if 'cause in Gears 2 there was a phoney joke map with star war names on it. There has been fan art but nothing from the game itself. Good going Slab!
"Now, which idiot said he wanted to see some action for a change?"
i remember one of the books also suggesting most of Sera is a single landmass, which is the reason why the COG didn't invest in fixed-wing aircraft, so the connectedness is probably accurate. i can try to find the exact quote when i get home but i'm on the road rn. 

this is really great but it makes me wonder where the Islands go.
i hate General Karn
So, can we be sure that all of Sera's landmass is actually connected together? Both the globe in Speyer and your map seem to suggest it but there were never any clear hints anywhere else that this is the case. I know this is not the finished version but I think it'd be nice to know whether this is actually how Sera looks like or if there are some regions that can only be reached by a ship or via air.

i remember one of the books also suggesting most of Sera is a single landmass, which is the reason why the COG didn't invest in fixed-wing aircraft, so the connectedness is probably accurate. i can try to find the exact quote when i get home but i'm on the road rn.
That appears to be the case, as most of the major continents bridge together in Sera’s Antarctic region. How practical it would be to use the region as a terminus, especially in lieu of ships or air craft, is highly questionable. 

Ancient Humans are believed to have traveled across the Bering Strait from Eurasia to North America via land bridge during a time when the Earth was cooler than it is today, and that was outside the Arctic Circle. As we see here, if Ancient Serans migrated across the planet exclusively on land, that would necessitate traveling deep within Sera’s Antarctic. Frankly, the chances of success seem very improbable. 

So while most land is connected to each other somehow, as far as Early Serans were concerned, the Antarctic was an impenetrable wall. From this perspective, Sera in fact has at least two continents: the one I illustrated near the center of the map, and the other that wraps around the edges on the left and right.
Looking at the map it's probably safe to say that there's been quite a seismic activity going on, and we don't know what scale of this map/glob is, i'm sure there are many islands, it would be strange if there wasn't. 
There also many speculations about size of the world itself. We got two moons in the close proximity from each other and Sera, and this should create enormous tides on the planet which doesn't seems like it does. Talking about moons, the one in the middle must be under extreme stress being in between two gravitational forces thus should be more of a reddish color but it's not. Anyway, there are many mysteries to this world we yet to discover. 
And thanks for the amazing work as always. I think you should try to get in touch with Sid to find out if they planing on further development of the world in this game.
ORDER DILIGENCE PURITY  
@RUbearUS
Stoic Slab wrote:

That appears to be the case, as most of the major continents bridge together in Sera’s Antarctic region. How practical it would be to use the region as a terminus, especially in lieu of ships or air craft, is highly questionable.  

Ancient Humans are believed to have traveled across the Bering Strait from Eurasia to North America via land bridge during a time when the Earth was cooler than it is today, and that was outside the Arctic Circle. As we see here, if Ancient Serans migrated across the planet exclusively on land, that would necessitate traveling deep within Sera’s Antarctic. Frankly, the chances of success seem very improbable.  

So while most land is connected to each other somehow, as far as Early Serans were concerned, the Antarctic was an impenetrable wall. From this perspective, Sera in fact has at least two continents: the one I illustrated near the center of the map, and the other that wraps around the edges on the left and right.
Hm...this does bear the question if it has always been like that. I don't know if Sera has any tectonic activity but it seems very likely considering the mountainous terrain of Tyrus. So the landmasses either have not always been connected or what we are seeing now is the result of thousands of years of movement that is only now about to take what is pretty much a giant continent apart.
Kait as main character for Gears 5/6  

Taking a break from Gears 4 to relieve boredom and frustrations, so don't expect to see me on it anytime soon. Maybe for Horde Frenzy next weekend.  

No guarantee about Kait joining the Swarm.

Stoic Slab wrote:

Hm...this does bear the question if it has always been like that. I don't know if Sera has any tectonic activity but it seems very likely considering the mountainous terrain of Tyrus. So the landmasses either have not always been connected or what we are seeing now is the result of thousands of years of movement that is only now about to take what is pretty much a giant continent apart.
based on how easily the Locust can tunnel through the earth in the original trilogy you'd assume there's a lot of tectonic activity on Sera, be it due to the same reasons it happens on Earth; or just due to like mass activities from Corpsers and Rift Worms before the events of the games
Well, plate tectonics is possible on Earth because the Planet's internal heat is still hot enough to facilitate it. 

The presence of the various geologic features on Sera can only be formed from long term activity where rock is continually built up, whittled down, and recycled. Otherwise, the surface would have remained absolutely static with most everything broken down after many, many years of constant erosion until there is almost nothing left—as is the case with most terrestrial bodies in our solar system. In fact, they all have quintessential stagnant lid crusts which tells us that their mantles have cooled to the point that the cycling of material is no longer possible. 

Landmasses, plateaus, and massifs exist because they are the result of a still active planet. As we already understand it here on Earth, it is ultimately the same process that explains the geology of Sera. 

In what direction the plates are moving I haven't discovered yet. They may very well have once been a part of a Pangea-like Super-continent in the relatively recent past, or perhaps they will become one in the near future. 

On that subject, a decent portion of landmass is huddled around the Antarctic Circle while a smaller ring surrounds the North Pole where only one passage of ocean water is present. Compared to Earth, there is a lot less water near the poles and thus greater restriction of currents in between the ocean's warmer and cooler climates. My belief is that because less warm water is flowing towards the Polar Regions, Sera might be a colder place. 

On the other hand, I made some measurements of the original globe from Speyer to find what the planet's axial tilt is. As most real-world globes provide accurate representations of the planet's obliquity, this should be the same case here. My measurement puts Sera's tilt at around 25°, compared to the Earth's which is around 23.4°; shifting on ~41,000 year cycles between 22.1° and 24.5°. 

Now in this case, a higher tilt would result in greater fluctuations of seasonal extremes (warmer summers, colder winters) as either hemisphere receives higher solar radiation when it's pole is closer towards the sun. This additional insulation would then in turn melt greater amounts of snow and ice that would have accumulated from the previous winter, giving the planet a greater average temperature. In this case, Sera would be warmer. 

Taking these two into account, I believe they offset one another, but leaving the door open for others to be the determining factor of Sera's climate.
Here's some new uploads: 

This first one is simply a comparison between the geographic faces of Sera and Earth 

This one is a basic representation of the prevailing winds, using Earth's own as a guide. 

This last one required a little more imagination to detail theoretical Ocean Currents.
Nice map Serans have! But it can't be all connected. What about the South Islands and Vectes?
Gears of War: Dom & Maria - Always In My Head <-------(WATCH)  
Favorite Character: Dominic Santiago  
Obsessed with Gears of War since 2007
Riboson wrote:
Nice map Serans have! But it can't be all connected. What about the South Islands and Vectes?

Islands are, of course, exempt from this otherwise they wouldn't be islands now would they? :P 

Joveus wrote:
Wanna try combining this with the known geography?  

https://gearsofwar.com/en-us/forums/2f1e5822627642e6955a08426ab80570/threads/details-and-curiosities/42d99b27-cfad-49be-b460-1a7a8b95328b/posts?page=1#post8
I was looking at this earlier, but I haven't gotten it nailed down just yet. 

The hardest part of the process is probably going to be figuring out where each pre-war nation is. There are a few places I think might work for Tyrus, but the one below being my preferred candidate so far. 

This is my candidate for Tyrus' location. 

http://i.imgur.com/sgn5E5H.png 

Stitched together the two ends of your map.
<span><span>RIP old Gears of War forums. You will be missed. (link)</span></span>  
Swarm Drones could be called "scabs" instead of "grubs."  

If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know.  
Cannot see any images.
When Hope Runs Deep, you depend on your Brothers to the End, you Trust your Guts, and you Never Fight Alone.  
Fight for the Machine, for your Family, for Humanity!  

Ideas for Additions (Lore & World)  
GOW4 Fan Opinion Survey
This is my candidate for Tyrus' location.  

http://i.imgur.com/sgn5E5H.png  

Stitched together the two ends of your map.
That's another one, too. I'm confident that Tyrus would be, at the very least, in between the 30 and 60 Latitudes. 

Both the Lesser and South Islands would also be relatively close; but I also suspect that Gorasnaya would not be too far away, as during the silver era they have had frequent contact with Tyrus, not to mention having some sort of claim in both island chains as late as post-emergence. 

If we come to some sort of conclusion, I'll realign the map so that it has Tyrus centered in the middle. As virtually all of Sera's history is from a Tyran perspective, my head-cannon has the Prime Meridian running through Ephyra. 

EDIT: I've been uploading my images through Postimage.org, but I've switched to Imgur. Let me know if there's any trouble with viewing the images.
Cannot see any images.
Can see it now, but why is it all landlocked? Isn't there a couple islands? Azura for one.
When Hope Runs Deep, you depend on your Brothers to the End, you Trust your Guts, and you Never Fight Alone.  
Fight for the Machine, for your Family, for Humanity!  

Ideas for Additions (Lore & World)  
GOW4 Fan Opinion Survey

Cannot see any images.

Can see it now, but why is it all landlocked? Isn't there a couple islands? Azura for one.
Again, this based on the globe found on the Speyer map and only includes what was visible. 

That very same sculpture appears to be an artistic representation of the planet where only the largest landmasses are included. Islands the size of Azura would not visible and even if they were, there's bound to be a lot of them and follows the same conundrum of figuring out where each nation is located.
  1. 1