(SPOILERS) Gears of War 4 Story General Discussion.

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4
I liked campaign, a lot. One of my favorite parts of it was the prologue: we fought through Aspho Fields, one of the major battles in Sera's history (how old was Dom at that time, 17?) and we lived E-Day. I liked how these anonymous characters forged a bit of the Gears universe. 

As for the main campaign, I think the main characters lacked deepness. Maybe, the deepest character was Kait with her mother's issue and the hint that she's Myrrah's grand-daughter. I liked how the relationship between JD and Marcus floats around the death of Anya (I need to know what happened to her), as we can see they have a sort of grudge going on; but still, they're father and son. EDIT: I liked how collectables in Act 2 revolve around JD's childhood, as we collect presents from Cole and some of his toys.  

Finally, I must say the campaign sparked some questions about the Swarm: we know Scions are former Locust and Swarm Drones are the result of the harvested humans... but what about Snatchers, Pouncers and Carriers? Where did they came from? Did the Scions created them? Are they a mutation of Seran wildlife? 

I'm intrigued. 

P.d. I hope someday TC makes a part of future campaigns or DLCs where we can play with or along Carlos Santiago.
Dom was 18, I think. 

The Snatchers and Carriers look like stabilized, highly advanced mutations of the Lambent Polyps. So that's my guess. They're evolved Polyps. 

But the Pouncers... I dunno, they have fingers and toes, albeit with talons. What role is the Pouncer even supposed to fill in the Swarm, besides a fun enemy to fight? They shotgun humans to death with tail-quills, or they rip their heads off. So... are they meant to just hunt things down to provide food for the rest of the Swarm? Because the Swarm Hunters could probably handle that role too.
<span><span>RIP old Gears of War forums. You will be missed. (link)</span></span>  
Swarm Drones could be called "scabs" instead of "grubs."  

If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know.  
Has anyone ever seen the anime Blue Gender..well it's Eeirly similar to GOW4's story line. Especially the evolving swarm and warhammer mechs..also noticed the similarities between COD ghosts aliens and the snachers in the story .
Dom was 18, I think.  

The Snatchers and Carriers look like stabilized, highly advanced mutations of the Lambent Polyps. So that's my guess. They're evolved Polyps.  

But the Pouncers... I dunno, they have fingers and toes, albeit with talons. What role is the Pouncer even supposed to fill in the Swarm, besides a fun enemy to fight? They shotgun humans to death with tail-quills, or they rip their heads off. So... are they meant to just hunt things down to provide food for the rest of the Swarm? Because the Swarm Hunters could probably handle that role too.
I think the Pouncers are baby Snatchers. They have similar markings and attacks. For example, the Pouncer has weak but multiple quills whereas the Snatcher has one singular heavy damage quill shot. They both have stomach weaknesses and one of the Pouncer's executions is the opening mouth with tentacles ripping off heads. Snatcher does this but takes the whole body. 

Just my thoughts.
Sharing terrible customer service experiences?  

Moderator Edit: Not Permitted.

Dom was 18, I think.  

I think the Pouncers are baby Snatchers. They have similar markings and attacks. For example, the Pouncer has weak but multiple quills whereas the Snatcher has one singular heavy damage quill shot. They both have stomach weaknesses and one of the Pouncer's executions is the opening mouth with tentacles ripping off heads. Snatcher does this but takes the whole body.  

Just my thoughts.
I support the idea that maybe Pouncers were created as hounds to flush out prey (remember those things in Predators?). But they are similar to Snatchers, too, as they share some traits with Carriers. Even Swarm individual share these traits: the nostril on the forehead, their skin color and texture, even their somewhat over the top aggression. And what about the Swarm Boss? Was it the source of Swarm creatures? But above all... What's the connection with the Scions? We need Baird to start analyzing stuff again.
We know that the Scions are connected to each other and the rest of the Swarm via a Hivemind. Furthermore, through the use raw materials (i.e. humans), we see how the Swarm reproduces and grows: Snatchers harvest people, people are “digested” in pods, their remains are reformed into Juvies and--presumably--other creatures such as more Snatchers. But what we don’t have is an explanation as to how the first generations of Swarm were created. We're confident that the Scions are responsible somehow, but there’s a missing link between them and their creations that has yet to be revealed. The Windflares and/or “Red Weeds” might be our new Imulsion, but it’s too soon to tell as we don’t have enough evidence to formulate a solid answer.
This thread is awesome.
Stoic Slab wrote:
We know that the Scions are connected to each other and the rest of the Swarm via a Hivemind. Furthermore, through the use raw materials (i.e. humans), we see how the Swarm reproduces and grows: Snatchers harvest people, people are “digested” in pods, their remains are reformed into Juvies and--presumably--other creatures such as more Snatchers. But what we don’t have is an explanation as to how the first generations of Swarm were created. We're confident that the Scions are responsible somehow, but there’s a missing link between them and their creations that has yet to be revealed. The Windflares and/or “Red Weeds” might be our new Imulsion, but it’s too soon to tell as we don’t have enough evidence to formulate a solid answer.
I stole your signature for personal use by the way.
I had a thought, but I'm starting to wonder if I saw it elsewhere. If anyone else has seen this idea floating around, please tell me so I can give the original its due credit. 

The Snatchers, Carriers, and possibly the Hive Boss are evolved Polyps. 

Here's the original render for the Polyp: 

There are some obvious holes in this theory (Polyps have six limbs, Swarm creatures all have four), but... it kinda clicks for me. 

Think about the Lambent Stalks. Where did they come from? What did all the Stalks originate from? We don't know what was down there, but we can surmise that it was big, it was nasty, and it was probably gooey. And we do know that Polyps were the basic lifeforms of Lambency, possibly pure Lambent created from the bowels of the planet itself. It was also stated that Polyps would latch on to Locust to turn them Lambent, though that plot point might have been abandoned (regardless, you can still see that each Lambent Drone has a Polyp fused with its back and chest). 

It's a leap, but I think the Polyps were the "basic building blocks" of most things Lambent.  

My theory about the Carriers is they're responsible for digging and pooping out the "Nests" that turn Juvies into Imagos (which then harden into whatever else). And we already know that Snatchers produce the Pods that digest organisms into Juvies. But what makes Snatchers? What makes Carriers? 

And what differentiates the Snatchers/Carriers from the Pouncers? Pouncers have fully developed feet and claws. The Snatchers and Carriers have pincers at most. It's still possible that Pouncers come from the same stock as Snatchers and Carriers, but for now I'm going to assume the Pouncers are made from Seran animals captured by Snatchers. 

It's a work in progress, and I can't shake the feeling that I saw someone else say "Polyps = Swarm." But it makes a certain amount of sense. Please step forward if you know more.
<span><span>RIP old Gears of War forums. You will be missed. (link)</span></span>  

Another topic that was going in my head was the use of a host for the hive, in this case, Reyna (whose name casually means "queen" in spanish). So, we can assume that Queen Myrrah was a much more important figure for the Locust. Some speculate that she created Locust through science, as most Locust were infertile due to Imulsion.  

So why the Swarm needs a host for the hivemind? Why didn't the Hive Boss fulfilled that function? Did Reyna knew who her mother was? Will Kate be the next target of the Swarm? 

I'm looking forward to see if more types of Locust could survive the Imulsion Contermeasure Weapon. It would be nice to see Boomers and Kantus within the Swarm roster. What about a Swarm Corpser? 

The future has not been written. But I hope that it will answer a lot of questions about this.
So why the Swarm needs a host for the hivemind? Why didn't the Hive Boss fulfilled that function? Did Reyna knew who her mother was? Will Kate be the next target of the Swarm?
This is what I’m most interested in learning: how Kait’s understanding of her lineage plays out. It’s inevitable, but it will be fascinating to watch how it unfolds. 

We presume that Myrrah is Kait’s grandmother, but if this is indeed the case, how does Kait come to learn this? How does she react when she finds out? How does everyone else react when they find out? Finally, when Kait acknowledges her family’s history, does she reject it or embrace it? 

On a related note, I’m not been completely sold on JD, Del, and Kait just yet. For me, there isn’t enough to convince me to care as deeply as much as I did for Marcus and Dom. Granted, we have a better understanding of our new heroes’ history in Gears 4 compared to their predecessors in Gears 1, but there’s something that’s preventing me from becoming completely invested in them emotionally.  

I think the fact that all three of them are always together is the problem. There’s never a moment where any one of them is out of ear shot for an extended period of time, and I believe that this prevents the characters from demonstrating the full extent of their individual bonds. That is to say, there wasn't any subconscious intimacy. 

The scene on the tram with JD and Kait, or the scene at the drill with JD and Del are good examples, and they do better than what was accomplished throughout the entirety of the first game. But I would like to see instances of where its only two members of the group together for long stretches of the story, like when it was only Marcus and Dom in the Imulsion Mines or Nexus. 

This is why Dom’s death was so impactful, because, since the very beginning, he was the guy who accompanied the player through everything, he was the guy who always stuck around when everyone else stayed behind, and he was the guy who always had your back. Dom and Marcus’s relationship wields great emotional clout throughout the original series even when they don’t engage in deep conversation. Given the circumstances, they don’t need to say much because they’re literally going through hell together and that speaks enough for itself. 

What we’ve seen is a good, solid foundation that I’m confident the writers will continue to build on going forward, so it may just take some time for things to "ferment." But its times like these, shared exclusively by two members of the group, I think would convince me to be more invested in their fates .
^^^Signal boost 

We also saw what kind of Sergeant Marcus was, and Dom was never afraid to speak his fears. Remember when he said "I'm scared of going underground" right before we entered the Lethia Imulsion facility? And Marcus told him "Heh, don't tell Baird that. He's scared enough as it is." That was great writing, and understated. In so few lines of dialogue they managed to illustrate three characters while also telling us how serious the stakes are: Dom's terrified, Marcus is relieved to hear it, Baird just acts tough, and everything hinges on keeping morale up. 

Gears 4 showed us what kind of combatants JD, Del, and Kait are. But we haven't seen them as soldiers yet. What kind of Lieutenant is JD, how does he inspire others, and how does he delegate? What kind of Sergeant is Del, how does he make others feel safe, and how does he interpret bad orders? Can Kait even be a Gear, or will military life tear her down and drive her away? How will a year of constant war change them?

Precisely. 

We know what they're saying, but we don't know what they're thinking or how they're feeling. At times, the trio come across as socially awkward millennials who haven't taken their lumps. Kait is probably the exception with her Dom-Maria moment at the end, so it will be interesting how that will shape her going forward.
I noticed that they strayed from the canon slightly in the prologue (if you count the books). In the books they got I virtually undetected and then had to fight their way out. But in the prologue, we fought both ways. I guess it wouldn't have been as exciting sneaking in to the labs.
"If you count the books"... 
Books are canon. Already confirmed pre-Ultimate Edition. I notice that these were Hoffman's flashbacks. memory degrades with age. Perhaps he is getting Alzheimer's like in his old age. People do.
Twitter: @GrabbyMagician  
Twitch: GrabbyMagician  
(I don't stream. Just remember the name. I lurk in stream chats on occasion.)
Stoic Slab wrote:

This is what I’m most interested in learning: how Kait’s understanding of her lineage plays out. It’s inevitable, but it will be fascinating to watch how it unfolds.  

We presume that Myrrah is Kait’s grandmother, but if this is indeed the case, how does Kait come to learn this? How does she react when she finds out? How does everyone else react when they find out? Finally, when Kait acknowledges her family’s history, does she reject it or embrace it?  

On a related note, I’m not been completely sold on JD, Del, and Kait just yet. For me, there isn’t enough to convince me to care as deeply as much as I did for Marcus and Dom. Granted, we have a better understanding of our new heroes’ history in Gears 4 compared to their predecessors in Gears 1, but there’s something that’s preventing me from becoming completely invested in them emotionally.  

I think the fact that all three of them are always together is the problem. There’s never a moment where any one of them is out of ear shot for an extended period of time, and I believe that this prevents the characters from demonstrating the full extent of their individual bonds. That is to say, there wasn't any subconscious intimacy.  

The scene on the tram with JD and Kait, or the scene at the drill with JD and Del are good examples, and they do better than what was accomplished throughout the entirety of the first game. But I would like to see instances of where its only two members of the group together for long stretches of the story, like when it was only Marcus and Dom in the Imulsion Mines or Nexus.  

This is why Dom’s death was so impactful, because, since the very beginning, he was the guy who accompanied the player through everything, he was the guy who always stuck around when everyone else stayed behind, and he was the guy who always had your back. Dom and Marcus’s relationship wields great emotional clout throughout the original series even when they don’t engage in deep conversation. Given the circumstances, they don’t need to say much because they’re literally going through hell together and that speaks enough for itself.  

What we’ve seen is a good, solid foundation that I’m confident the writers will continue to build on going forward, so it may just take some time for things to "ferment." But its times like these, shared exclusively by two members of the group, I think would convince me to be more invested in their fates .
Reyna knows exactly who her mother is. Watch the scene right before she gets grabbed. She knew something would happen to this degree. She looks at the pendant, and then there's a subtle look she makes, almost like disgust and anger that this is happening. She must have vanished, ran away, whatever. Maybe hiding from Myrrah and the Locust. They knew exactly who she was. Speaker went right for her.
Twitter: @GrabbyMagician  
Twitch: GrabbyMagician  
(I don't stream. Just remember the name. I lurk in stream chats on occasion.)
Apparently, questions like what happened at Settlement 2 are to be answered in future games. This leaves the writers with a lot of freedom and can come up with explanations that can't be discussed in a game that only spans a Seran day.

Dom was 18, I think.  

Just my thoughts.
Yes i thought the same, pouncers are baby snatchers.
Yes I am an abomination...PC player who uses an Xbox controller. Due to this, we get no aim assist!
Reyna knows exactly who her mother is. Watch the scene right before she gets grabbed. She knew something would happen to this degree. She looks at the pendant, and then there's a subtle look she makes, almost like disgust and anger that this is happening. She must have vanished, ran away, whatever. Maybe hiding from Myrrah and the Locust. They knew exactly who she was. Speaker went right for her.
Never really realized that but I believe you're right she did give a look at that pendant before being nabbed.
Yes I am an abomination...PC player who uses an Xbox controller. Due to this, we get no aim assist!
@illusoryMage (quoting function not working on current computer) 

When I wrote that, I wasn’t doubting the fact, but merely trying to discuss what these revelations would mean for Kait going forward. 

----------------------------------- 
Still not enough information to get a solid explanation going, but my working theory is that all Swarm come from the same goop.  

Where the Locust Horde was a conglomeration of different organisms connected by imullsion, the Swarm—at least those who weren't previously crystallized Locust—is one single species. Their nature similar to Eurosocial Insects, where individuals are breed to develop unique physiological traits as to accomplish specific tasks. Organic material is first broken down and reassembled to develop juvies, who then later pupae in a nest where they become drones. But some Juvies develop further, perhaps with more time or some other factor, to become one of the other Swarm sub-species. 

My reasoning starts with looking at their skulls where I see strong similarities in all of them: Drones, Pouncers, Snatchers, and even Carriers. 

EDIT: Rephrasing
But what makes the Nests? Carriers? And if so, what makes Carriers? 

I still think that Pouncers, Snatchers, and Carriers might be created from Seran animals. But that's secondary to making these monsters more fun to fight in-game, I guess.

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4