Gears 4 on Windows 10 - Known Issues and Workarounds

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
Hello Gears PC fans, 

We are aware of two ongoing issues with Gears of War 4 on Windows 10. Our team cares deeply about these issues, and we are working hard with our partners to resolve both of these problems as soon as possible. 

If you are encountering issues when loading the game or crashes when playing on an Nvidia GPU, please read on for our currently known workarounds while we work to fix these issues. 

Game Crashes On Load 
This issue continues to be a high priority issue for us. Our team here and throughout Microsoft (including the MS Store) are working to resolve this problem. Thank you for your patience while we work to get this fixed as soon as possible. 

We have a temporary workaround that involves a full re-install. This a temporary and less than ideal solution, but it will resolve any issues until we are able to fully fix the problem. 

1. Uninstall app from app list (right click -> uninstall) or uninstall from Apps & Features.  
2. Turn off your PC.  
3. Wait ~10 minutes and turn on your PC.  
4. Install the game from the store again. 

Nvidia Driver Crash 
When playing on Series 10 or Pascal generation Nvidia Cards, users may find the game crashes during gameplay. Teams across The Coalition and Nvidia have been working hard on finding a resolution to these problems and meet regularly to discuss. 

If you are encountering these issues, please follow the steps below: 

Turning off Async 
After reverting your drivers following the steps above, launch Gears of War 4 and navigate to Options > Advanced Video > Turn off Async Compute 

If you continue to encounter issues: 

Reverting Drivers 
1. Search for “Change Device Installation Settings” in the search bar. 
2. Open and Select “NO (Your Device might not work as expected)”  
3. Use DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) to remove all display drivers from the PC 
4. Download and install NVidia Drivers 382.53 from the archive site (http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx) 
5. Reboot the PC after the drivers have installed 

Disable Game Bar and background recording 
1. Go to windows settings > Gaming > Game bar > Turn OFF “Record game clips, Screenshots, and broadcast using Game bar 
2. Navigate to Game DVR in the sidebar of the Gaming menu > Turn OFF “Record in the background while I’m playing a game 

Thank you again for your patience. We will do our upmost to provide updates whenever we have them on these two issues. 

TC
Senior Community Manager for Gears of War at The Coalition  

Follow Gears of War on Twitter and Facebook for all the latest on Gears  
Follow The Coalition on Twitter and Facebook for updates direct from the studio.  
You can follow me on Twitter - @OctusTC
Still no fix for Nvidia drivers ...?!!!!! Really ...?!
I have a Windows 10 Gtx 1080 and i tried to play Gears of War 4 but all i got is the splash screen for 5 seconds then a return to my desktop. This is really frustrating. And for the record, i am not going to uninstall and reinstall the game every time i want to play gears. And if i rollback my Nvidia driver then i can not play other PC games since they are optimized for the latest Nvidia driver. Please get this fixed. Please tell Microsoft not to treat PC gamers as 2nd class citizens. thank you,
why doesnt the coalition fix this issue already this all happened to me at least with the november update to gears of war 4 ever since then it made me redownload the game an it will is the splash screen an then goes to the spinning gear it spins then stops an return to desktop seriously fix this issue its not like the coalition has ever listened before besides they are owned by microsoft the kings of releasing unfinished products an patching later if we cant even get to that step you recomend it doesnt do anyone any good
I still can't play co-op campaign because the game kept frozen/crashed during loading screen (gear cog spinning). Sometimes, I can get into the game but can only play about 1 minute, and abruptly the game just froze/crashed. 

GeForce Founders Edition GTX 1080 Ti 11GB GDDR5X Video Card 
Intel Core I7 7700K OC@ 5Ghz 1.355V Adaptive VCore LLC Lvl 2 
G.Skills TridentZ 32GB 3866Mhz CAS 18-19-19-39 DDR4 SDRAM 1.24V VCCSA/1.25VCCIO 
Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5 32-Bit/384Khz PCIe Sound Card 
Windows 10 Home 64-Bit Fall Creators Update 
Driver version: 388.71 
Community Manager TC Octus tweeted me on Twitter: "Absolutely - we care deeply about getting this resolved, as do our partners at Nvidia. We are meeting regularly." "Thanks. We are aware and working with our partners to fix this." 

Finally, the CENSORSHIP on the Nvidia driver crash issue has ended after 7 MONTHS.......
TC Octus wrote:

Game Crashes On Load  
This issue continues to be a high priority issue for us. Our team here and throughout Microsoft (including the MS Store) are working to resolve this problem. Thank you for your patience while we work to get this fixed as soon as possible.  

We have a temporary workaround that involves a full re-install. This a temporary and less than ideal solution, but it will resolve any issues until we are able to fully fix the problem.  

1. Uninstall app from app list (right click -> uninstall) or uninstall from Apps & Features.  
2. Turn off your PC.  
3. Wait ~10 minutes and turn on your PC.  
4. Install the game from the store again.  

Thank you again for your patience. We will do our upmost to provide updates whenever we have them on these two issues.  

TC
When it comes to not loading the game and someone has a slow internet, I do not recommend downloading the game again ... it's enough to download some unimportant applications, be a game from MS Store and GoW 4 (PC) turns on :)
bakertin wrote:
I still can't play co-op campaign because the game kept frozen/crashed during loading screen (gear cog spinning). Sometimes, I can get into the game but can only play about 1 minute, and abruptly the game just froze/crashed.  

System Spec:  
Intel Core i7 7700K 5Ghz 1.355V VCore Adaptive/(LLC/Vdroop Lvl 2)  
MSI Gaming M7 Z270 Motherboard  
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB GDDR5X Video Card OC@ 146Mhz+ Core/480Mhz+ Memory  
G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB 3866MhzMhz CAS 18-19-19-39 DDR4 SDRAM 1.35V VCCSA 1.24V/ VCCIO 1.25V  
Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5 32-Bit DAC/384Khz PCIe Sound Card  
(삼성) SAMSUNG 960 Pro 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD  
Cooler Master HAF-X Full Tower Case  
Seasonic Prime 650W 80 Plus Titanium PSU  
ACER Predator XB272 27" 1920 x 1080 240Hz 8-Bit TN G-Sync Panel  
Windows 10 64-Bit Home Fall Creators Update  
Motherboard AMI BIOS: 7A57v15  
Graphics Card BIOS: 86.02.39.00.01  
Driver version: 388.71
Man, those specs should crush absolutely anything you throw at it. Super sad the state of the game right now for PC gamers.
Do NOT uninstall your game... its a half ass solution that doesn't even work. It will work on first boot but afterwards the game will revert back to crashing on splash the second or third time you boot up the game. I've uninstall and reinstall the game 3 times already. Still does not work...downloading 190GB's 3 times already is enough for me.
First they refuse to implement hdr on pc and now this... Whole Play Anywhere program is a joke already. I will gladly buy the retail console version next time that is cheaper anyway instead of having to deal with microsofts broken pc ports.
Yeah the nVidia driver fix they posted doesn't work if you are on Windows build 1709. Oldest driver 1709 allows you to be on is 388.13.
I have a GTX970. Random locks, with any other driver besides 382.53. The 388.13 worked second best, with locks up not as often.
Yeah the nVidia driver fix they posted doesn't work if you are on Windows build 1709. Oldest driver 1709 allows you to be on is 388.13.
I am on 1709 and have 382.53.

How do you get 1709 to not update your display drivers?
Soo much to read._.

Right-click "This PC" -> Properties -> Advanced System Settings -> Hardware -> Device Installation Settings -> No

I did a reset of windows. Had no nvidia display drivers installed, and then installed the 382.53 drivers. 

As sinadoom states in the post above, untick that box and you will be good to go :)

I did a reset of windows. Had no nvidia display drivers installed, and then installed the 382.53 drivers.  

As sinadoom states in the post above, untick that box and you will be good to go :)
Doesn't work for me. Luckily Nvidia released information on their latest driver release that it's now a known issue for them so a fix should come early 2018.
Re-formatted my PC yesterday, no longer have that splash screen to desktop issue but I'm still randomly freezing in-game.  

Running an Intel i7 4790k, GIgabyte z97x gaming 7 board, Zotac 980TI Amp Extreme, 32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum RAM 2400mhz  

Here are the error lines from the event viewer, I am at my wits end and don't know what else to do. I have no issues with any of my other games and can play them and run benchmarks for hours. 

(1st crash) Package Microsoft.SpartaUWP_11.7.0.2_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe+GearGameShippingPublic was terminated because it took too long to suspend.  

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">  
- <System>  
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Immersive-Shell" Guid="{315A8872-923E-4EA2-9889-33CD4754BF64}" />  
<EventID>2484</EventID>  
<Version>1</Version>  
<Level>2</Level>  
<Task>2400</Task>  
<Opcode>0</Opcode>  
<Keywords>0x2000000000000042</Keywords>  
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2017-12-22T05:17:57.996694000Z" />  
<EventRecordID>855</EventRecordID>  
<Correlation />  
<Execution ProcessID="10996" ThreadID="9844" />  
<Channel>Application</Channel>  
<Computer></Computer>  
<Security UserID="" />  
</System>  
- <EventData>  
<Data Name="PsmKey">Microsoft.SpartaUWP_11.7.0.2_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe+GearGameShippingPublic</Data>  
</EventData>  
</Event>  

(2nd crash) Package Microsoft.SpartaUWP_11.7.0.2_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe+GearGameShippingPublic was terminated because it took too long to suspend.  

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">  
- <System>  
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Immersive-Shell" Guid="{315A8872-923E-4EA2-9889-33CD4754BF64}" />  
<EventID>2484</EventID>  
<Version>1</Version>  
<Level>2</Level>  
<Task>2400</Task>  
<Opcode>0</Opcode>  
<Keywords>0x2000000000000042</Keywords>  
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2017-12-22T06:48:55.866498700Z" />  
<EventRecordID>858</EventRecordID>  
<Correlation />  
<Execution ProcessID="10996" ThreadID="2808" />  
<Channel>Application</Channel>  
<Computer></Computer>  
<Security UserID=/>  
</System>  
- <EventData>  
<Data Name="PsmKey">Microsoft.SpartaUWP_11.7.0.2_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe+GearGameShippingPublic</Data>  
</EventData>  
</Event>
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3