We are aware of two ongoing issues with Gears of War 4 on Windows 10. Our team cares deeply about these issues, and we are working hard with our partners to resolve both of these problems as soon as possible.
If you are encountering issues when loading the game or crashes when playing on an Nvidia GPU, please read on for our currently known workarounds while we work to fix these issues.
Game Crashes On Load
This issue continues to be a high priority issue for us. Our team here and throughout Microsoft (including the MS Store) are working to resolve this problem. Thank you for your patience while we work to get this fixed as soon as possible.
We have a temporary workaround that involves a full re-install. This a temporary and less than ideal solution, but it will resolve any issues until we are able to fully fix the problem.
1. Uninstall app from app list (right click -> uninstall) or uninstall from Apps & Features.
2. Turn off your PC.
3. Wait ~10 minutes and turn on your PC.
4. Install the game from the store again.
Nvidia Driver Crash
When playing on Series 10 or Pascal generation Nvidia Cards, users may find the game crashes during gameplay. Teams across The Coalition and Nvidia have been working hard on finding a resolution to these problems and meet regularly to discuss.
If you are encountering these issues, please follow the steps below:
Turning off Async
After reverting your drivers following the steps above, launch Gears of War 4 and navigate to Options > Advanced Video > Turn off Async Compute
If you continue to encounter issues:
1. Search for “Change Device Installation Settings” in the search bar.
2. Open and Select “NO (Your Device might not work as expected)”
3. Use DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) to remove all display drivers from the PC
4. Download and install NVidia Drivers 382.53 from the archive site (http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx)
5. Reboot the PC after the drivers have installed
Disable Game Bar and background recording
1. Go to windows settings > Gaming > Game bar > Turn OFF “Record game clips, Screenshots, and broadcast using Game bar
2. Navigate to Game DVR in the sidebar of the Gaming menu > Turn OFF “Record in the background while I’m playing a game
Thank you again for your patience. We will do our upmost to provide updates whenever we have them on these two issues.