Updates coming to Gears: UE for Windows 10 - Updated March 22

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 23
Hi everyone, 

My name is Cam, I’m the Technical Director for Gears of War: Ultimate Edition on Windows 10. The team and I have been reading the forums and looking over social media and other gaming communities daily. Here’s an update on what we’re working on. 

Current Focus 
Title Update Three is going to certification this week. We will keep you updated on expected release dates. 

Here are the patch notes: 
1. Ultra-wide resolutions (2560x1080 and 3440x1440) added to the game. 
2. Pipeline state object cache optimizations to reduce hitches during level transitions. 
3. Fixed a bug that could cause full Unreal garbage collect unnecessarily, leading to minor visual hitches. 
4. Fixed a visual corruption bug that would rarely affect Nvidia cards when changing resolutions and VRAM became over committed. 
5. Added support for setting anisotropic filtering level through the INI file (details on how to do this coming soon). 
6. Fixed lack of mouse input when using lowest mouse sensitivity and fully zoomed in with sniper rifle and moving the mouse very small amounts. 
7. Adjustments to low (1GB VRAM) texture setting. 
8. Added ability to toggle an FPS counter. Press the "Delete" key at any time to turn the counter on/off. (Why Delete key? Because we have it reserved from rebinding). 

We're also testing service side updates to improve matchmaking. I will update you all when these are rolled out. 
1. Restriction on number of strict NAT's removed. 
2. Allow games to go to lobby and start with 6 players, new players can continue to back-fill the match. 

Other items still in development: 
1. Reduce audio stutter on older CPU's. 
2. Multi GPU support. 
3. Identify cause of large hitches seen by some users. 
4. V-sync tearing support. 

Items still under consideration: 
1. Ping displayed in scoreboard. 
2. Push to talk. 
3. FOV adjustments. 

Some comments on the coming patch: 
One of our goals for patches is to keep the download size as small as possible. We've found that changing the UI requires a full re-download of the UI files which is 1+GB. Changing other content (cameras or script, for example) can cause a full re-download of the maps, based on the dependencies within the content. Based on this, we made a few decisions with TU3: 
1. FPS Counter / AF settings to be controlled through keyboard shortcut or INI. 
2. Benchmark cameras not updated for 21:9 (required a content change). Benchmark will appear in 16:9 for now. 
3. UI generally supports 21:9 properly but may appear stretched. 

When we have enough other items we need to change content for, we'll evaluate pulling some of the above in with those changes. 

Common Questions 

Crash on Boot Screen 
If you use an AMD GPU, you must get at least driver version 16.3. This is a beta driver, so the Radeon software won't automatically get it for you. Please go to AMD's website

NAT problems 
We've found the source of the incorrect NAT display and are working with the windows platform team to understand what options there are for a fix.  

In the meantime, I'm looking at mitigating the problem somewhat by adjusting how we deal with Strict NAT for matchmaking. Moderate and Open NAT don't have any matchmaking restrictions. 

FPS Counters  
This is coming in TU3. 

Population Indicator  
We've discussed this internally, let's see how our playlist changes work out and then we can consider further changes.  

Server Browser and Ping 
Will discuss cost with the team. I'm not sure about server browser, ping would be nice to surface. 

Push to Talk  
We don't have much space for more options on the controller, but we're considering this. I think it's a good idea.  

V-sync Toggle 
We are ready to support the fix from the platform team when it is ready. No ETA yet. 

Dedicated Servers and Other Game Modes  
Gears absolutely uses dedicated servers. We're continuing to evaluate how to help matchmaking times. 

EXE File  
Gears does have an exe file. However, it's run through the windows app container. The gaming community has given lots of feedback in this area and I'm sure it's being heard.  

Borderless Fullscreen  
LegendaryDread had some good questions.  
- Increased video requirements: We create our swap chain differently in UWP to manage this. Extra VRAM pressure generally comes from other things you're running on the system and can affect us, this is the same in exclusive full screen.  
- Multi GPU: There is no limitation here. We are working on adding mGPU.  
- Strictly enforced V-sync: We are working with the platform team on this. https://twitter.com/XboxQwik/status/703734557774774272  

Adjust FOV  
Will look into it and update soon.  

Cross play  
We have discussed this (we talk about everything you guys are suggesting). We are going to make sure all game modes are working as expected and roll out the playlist changes and evaluate those. We'll continue to discuss options to improve. 

Note: We are not currently bringing cross-play to Gears UE. As I said above, we are making fixes to the playlists and will evaluate them. 

Updates through the Windows Store 
OutOfReachCake answered within the thread - you should not have to download the full package. Here's some technical details on how the update process works:  
The Store uses a delta update system. We update our game package with fixes, submit the full package to store and then the Store does the rest to get you an update. The Store achieves this by doing the following: 

1. It maintains a list of "current versions" of all apps/games in the Store.
  2. This is periodically synced with your machine to identify apps/games that are not latest version.
  3. When you update the Game, the store scans the installed package compared to what it has on the server and identifies the chunks that differ between the two. These chunks are then updated on your machine.
  4. For people who download the package for the first time (or re-download), they get the updated package immediately.

Now, the problem we experienced with the last update was a bug in the store UI that didn't properly update the progress bar while the above steps were running. The fix for this was rolled out the day we launched by the store team, but it takes time to propagate Windows updates worldwide. The progress bar would show 50+GB the entire time it is scanning to see what to update. Gears is one of the biggest packages in the store, so that process takes a little bit of time. We are constantly giving feedback on how the store can better support us and other games. We checked with the Store team and 95%+ of users downloaded the correct 105MB update. 

Backup Game Files  
Windows backup will not back up downloaded apps/games. Continuing to follow up with store team. 

Access to Game Files (INI's) 
Update coming soon (this week). 

G-Sync 
G-Sync issues are resolved with Nvidia's latest drivers. 

FreeSync 
We are working with AMD on FreeSync support. 

Multi GPU 
We are looking at this. 

Split Screen 
Right now it's not planned, but I will look at the cost. 

PhysX 
Gears does not use hardware accelerated PhysX, contrary to what you may have read. Our game INI overrides the default engine INI and disables hardware physx. 

Please continue to provide feedback and ask questions in our Technical Support forum as we are always listening. We greatly appreciate the feedback and thanks again for the support.
Nice to meet you Cam i would like to be the first one to welcome you to the forums. 

This upcoming update sounds good & hopefully this update gives the PC community the same fun experience as the X1 community 😁
GEARS OF WAR 1  

GEARS OF WAR 2 \\★// 100  

GEARS OF WAR 3 \\★// 400  

GEARS OF WAR JUDGMENT \\★// 650  

GEARS OF WAR ULTIMATE EDITION \\★// 400
Thanks for the update.
Awesome news, Thanks for the heads up!
Can we possibly get support for FPS counters like FRAPS?  

Also a population counter to see how many players are online?
Excellent, thanks! Would still like to see a support for a filterable custom lobby list (like many PC games have and Gears of War 1 had) rather than just matchmaking fixes, but anything is good.
thanks thats great news i will get the game again now we have assured support. 
Mouse acceleration was a biggy for me i hope there is some way you guys can look into the full screen/sync issues. cheers hope to play soon
Maybe we can dream for the futur: 

-server browser 
-ping in score tab 
-number of player online 
-more maps from gear 2, 3 or Judgment 

ok it's more a fantasm ha ha

This post has been hidden.

How about adding push to talk instead of having an always hot mic or not hearing your teammates because you disable mic
How about adding push to talk instead of having an always hot mic or not hearing your teammates because you disable mic
Agreed.
I hope I get a reply to this from anyone whom may be able to help me understand why all but TDM is the only game mode with working servers! 

There was a a group of us that synchronized joining KOTH and no matter how many times we tried or how long we waited, not once have we been able to join any game mode other than TDM or 2XP Blitz.. Blitz seemed to have a few games after the double XP weekend, but couldnt join soon after...  

Are the dedicated servers for the other Game Modes down? surely no one likes to play TDM!! KOTH is the most competetive game mode, so why is it non-exsistent on GOW UE Win 10? 

Thanks community!
Just gonna repeat the same thing that others have already said - there are no dedicated servers on PC.
Valshiirs wrote:
Just gonna repeat the same thing that others have already said - there are no dedicated servers on PC.
How do you know this? or is that just a guess?
I cant find a single game online and i've now owned this game for almost 2 weeks... :( 

Also because there's no EXE. file to launch the game i cant play this via my Nvidia Shield or Steam Link :( 

Please fix this
Jaws JK9 wrote:
I hope I get a reply to this from anyone whom may be able to help me understand why all but TDM is the only game mode with working servers!  

There was a a group of us that synchronized joining KOTH and no matter how many times we tried or how long we waited, not once have we been able to join any game mode other than TDM or 2XP Blitz.. Blitz seemed to have a few games after the double XP weekend, but couldnt join soon after...  

Are the dedicated servers for the other Game Modes down? surely no one likes to play TDM!! KOTH is the most competetive game mode, so why is it non-exsistent on GOW UE Win 10?  

Thanks community!
I also tried arranging to play a different game mode and also had no success... 

I hope they can fix this game so we can actually find games online cause at the moment i cant find a single game besides TDM and that's only social i cant find a single game within ranked/competitive modes
If you need any help with troubleshooting / testing solutions for the achievements not unlocking issue, feel free to let me know. I have the issue on my PC, and I can help you troubleshoot / debug the problem if you're having issues reproducing the problem.
Oh my god thank you so much for this update! =]]
Thanks Cyphos 

Can we possibly get support for FPS counters like FRAPS?  

Also a population counter to see how many players are online?
Fps counter developers that must supports UWP, Nvidia already has support
can anyone help i cant get a game at all i get this error if i try to host/join a game it says unavailable please try later and Im connected with Open nat to EU server
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 23