[Locked] [Gears Weekly Dev Stream] Your Questions to Garrett Metcalf (Multiplayer Level Designer)

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
[Edit March 5 2018] Due to some tech difficulties, we were not able to stream how the maps are built inside Unreal Engine on March 2. Now Garrett and Ryan were still there to play MP on Foundation (one of the maps that Garrett worked on) and answer some of your questions. We will be doing a part 2 of this stream in the near future. As soon as we have the date locked down, we will be sure to let you know. 

In the meantime, you can watch part 1 here. 

Garrett Metcalf (Multiplayer Level Designer) will be joining us during tomorrow's (Friday March 2) stream to showcase how a level/map is created in Gears of War 4. 

If you are learning game design or just interested to see how things are built inside a game engine's editor, this is a stream you do not want to miss. This is also a great opportunity to learn how to get into the industry. 

Here is your chance to directly ask your questions to Garrett. Please directly add them below and we will answer them during the show. 

Thanks!
Community Manager - Gears of War  
@CoalitionGears
I have a question for the stream, 

How far into the process/how do you decide whether a map or level flows?
658/662
Where is River? Why don't we have River? What are your opinions on River and how many votes on Change.Org do we need to get River? 

[Edit Vectes] Next River question receives an 1-week forum suspension. No kidding. :)
Follow me on Twitter!  
Subscribe to my channel!  
\\*// GEARS for life, chainsaws FOREVER! \\*//  
Xbox Ambassador/ Xbox support  
Gears of War Technical Help and Support
How do you go with the process of adding and updating character dialogue in multiplayer and will there be more updates and improvements for past characters to come? (example UIR, Swarm/Locust) 

Edit: I guess I should read but I just caught that this was more for level design so my question isnt really worth mentioning. 

[Edit Vectes] Correct, this is out of scope for this stream.
The fear of blood tends to create fear for the flesh  
Myrrah did nothing wrong  
Therons are cute! CUTE!!
I'm going to ask this next one cus I know a bunch of other people will. 

At what point in the project did you attempt river, how far did you get with it, what was fundamentally wrong with it in gears 4 and could it of been fixed with more time. If allowed to disclose did you have a theme/location for the map? 

How and when into a maps design do you figure out the theme, place, time of day. 

We have 15 or so gears 3 maps (counting clock tower gridlock) why so many as opposed to ones from gears of war 1 and 2. 

Did you ever think or conceptualize a swarm hive map? It would of been great to drop a pod on someone going for a power weapon like the scoreboard on thrashball! 

How come we didn't get anymore rain themed maps? Most of gears of war 4 took place in the rain and it fits the dark atmosphere of that series. 

What is your opinion on remixes? If you had the time would you rather do an original or different remake? 

How many people does it take to make a map, what are their roles and how do you collaborate together? 

How many maps did you attempt to make for gears 4 and got fairly far before you decided you had to cut them? 

What is personally your favorite map you made and why? And what was the inspiration for it. 

This might be a Ryan question but fundamentally can ALL the maps support guardian to play gears 2 style (i.e faction spawns only) 

When and how do you balance a map to indicate a spawn swap and how much testing is involved to come to that conclusion. 

thank you for your time! 

- Embry Starred
GOW 1250/1250  
GOW 2: \\☆// 1750/1750  
GOW 3: 400 \\☆// 2000/2000  
GOW UE:400 \\☆// 1250/1250  
GOW 4:1241\\☆// 2300/2500  
COG: Classic Dom  
LOCUST: Blood moon Imago  
My first Gears of war 4 montage  
Don't act like children act like adults  
@Embrystarred twitter
ProGear360 wrote:
Where is River? Why don't we have River? What are your opinions on River and how many votes on Change.Org do we need to get River?
Your questions have all been answered earlier by TC.  

They didn't put River out as the map was in an unfinished state when they found it wouldn't work well on Gears 4 and stopped working on it. But what's so special about it besides nostalgia anyway? 
Sure, they could go into detail more but what they said makes sense to me. 

As for if you can get the map via a petition, forget about it. Unless you want to play amidst a bunch of pixelated blocks you're not getting it because the resources still devoted to Gears 4 are not for major feature development, part of which are maps. River doesn't get an exception, I reckon.
Stop making all characters the same.  

I haven´t forgotten about this, TC. And I´m not pulling it out of nowhere either.  

Kait should have cynical and/or sarcastic lines instead of blunt swearing and rubbish talk.
Will you add a jinn Shepherd bot to the game or future events? 

[Edit Vectes] Let's keep the discussion focused on map/level design please.

This post has been hidden.

How do you balance a map and its different sections? 
Each area should have their strengths and weaknesses when it comes to attacking vs defending them. Inpenetrable forts or killzones are no good. And you likely dont want to see just a single location where all fighting will condense into every round. 
Do you have some rulesets for this or is it just trial and error?

ProGear360 wrote:

Your questions have all been answered earlier by TC.  

They didn't put River out as the map was in an unfinished state when they found it wouldn't work well on Gears 4 and stopped working on it. But what's so special about it besides nostalgia anyway?  
Sure, they could go into detail more but what they said makes sense to me.  

As for if you can get the map via a petition, forget about it. Unless you want to play amidst a bunch of pixelated blocks you're not getting it because the resources still devoted to Gears 4 are not for major feature development, part of which are maps. River doesn't get an exception, I reckon.

It's a meme my lad. 
ProGear360 wrote:

[Edit Vectes] Next River question receives an 1-week forum suspension. No kidding. :)
I hardly use the forums anyway :P 
No kidding :)
Follow me on Twitter!  
Subscribe to my channel!  
\\*// GEARS for life, chainsaws FOREVER! \\*//  
Xbox Ambassador/ Xbox support  
Gears of War Technical Help and Support
Why did we get reskins of the current maps like impact and impact dark and others. Why couldnt you just bring back a new map or a fan favorite from the previous gears games?
Been a gears player since November 2006  
Follow me on twitter I will follow back xLooneyiscrazyx  
My youtube channel gaming channel  
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpUAkcoVHs72bdVPtpRITPg  

No future gears games should have 2 weapon tunings....

Deleted a few posts, please keep the posts to questions for the level/map designer. 

Thank you :)
658/662
Looking forward to this next stream, 

My question(s) are:  

- What is the team's first approach in designing a Multiplayer Map?  

- How many people does it take to build a Multiplayer map? 

- What is your favorite Gears of War Multiplayer Map and Why?
What map that was released in Gears 4 took the most work to get right? I know you took a long time with Diner perfecting it, but was there any other maps that presented challenges? 

Typically, how long are these maps tested before you are comfortable with releasing the map into the game?
"THEY ARE SINKING CITIES WITH A GIANT WORM!!!" - Marcus, Gears 2  

The forums are being moved soon. Check HERE for details.  

Gears 4 level: 1077  

SERIOUSLY 4.0: 02/07/17  

Thanks to xSonoshee for the Rockstar pack!
I’ve seen several videos where maps had glitches that allowed players to launch their characters “out of bounds”. You can also explore some with the ghost cams. Besides the fact you need backgrounds for viewing pleasure, why is there so much more to a map than what we actually see in the playing area? I mean some maps have incredible details and levels that could never be seen from player perspective.
Why wasn't azura and jacinto remade? Very highly requested maps?
Were their any maps that you had to completely scrap because it didn't fit with the game or was every map concept flawless?
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2