The reason why I'm making this thread is because as a Horde fanatic (I know I'm love MP too but I like Horde just as much), as we all well know in Gears 4, Horde 3.0 is too predictable of what is going to spawn at X wave. There is no randomisation in the waves whatsoever to make it challenging and fun to play. We all like to every now and then play Horde to chill and have fun or if you're a dedicated Horde player, play for higher stakes such as playing on Insane. But as for all of us, we want to expected the unexpected, not flat-out knowing "It's Shepherds and Trackers" this wave.
Back in Gears 3, there is no set pattern or sequence of what exactly will spawn, which was what I've liked about Gears 3 Horde. On the first wave of Gears 3 Horde It can be a few Wretches and Tickers or Drones with Wretches or even it's Lambent enemies. There's that many combinations of what can spawn, players won't know for definite what is coming. I'm sure on some 9th and 10th waves of Horde in Gears 3, a random Ticker might be there, which is exactly what Horde needs to be; enemies you'll never expect on certain waves.
This is a huge step backwards from what Horde was in Gears 3 and how it is in Gears 4. I know there isn't a massive variety of enemies in Gears 4 but that doesn't mean every wave can be randomised. Not only that, when Lambent and Locust enemies spawned together, they would occasionally fight each other. Why can't Deebees and Swarm do this as did at the start of Act 5 in the Campaign? Little twists like this make Horde exciting to watch as you can sit in cover and just let them kill each other.
I know all the enemies that spawn on each wave by heart and what is added on each further wave, I'll explain below.
Note: To help, I've listed the newer enemies at the start of each wave so you know exactly which enemies are added.
Waves 1, 11, 21, 31 & 41
- Shepherds, Shock Trackers
Waves 2, 12, 22, 32 & 42
- DR-1 Protectors, Shepherds, Shock Trackers
Waves 3, 13. 23, 33 & 43
- Sentinels, Deadeyes, DR-1 Protectors, Shepherds, Shock Trackers
Waves 4, 14, 24, 34 & 44
- Juvies, Sentinels, Deadeyes, DR-1 Protectors, Shepherds, Shock Trackers
Waves 5, 15, 25, 35 & 45
- Swarm Elite Drones, Guardians, Juvies, Deadeyes, DR-1 Protectors, Shock Trackers
Waves 6, 16, 26, 36 & 46
- Scion Boomshots, Swarm Elite Drones, Guardians, Juvies, Deadeyes, DR-1 Protectors, Shock Trackers
Waves 7, 17, 27, 37 & 47
- Pouncers, Scion Buzzkills, Swarm Drones, Scion Boomshots, Swarm Elite Drones, Juvies, DR-1 Protectors
Waves 8, 18, 28, 38 & 48
- Swarm Hunters, Swarm Grenadiers, Scion Mulchers, Scion Buzzkills, Pouncers, Swarm Drones, Scion Boomshots, Juvies, DR-1 Protectors
Waves 9, 19, 29, 39 & 49
- Scion Dropshots, Scion Mulchers, Swarm Hunters, Swarm Grenadiers, Scion Buzzkills, Swarm Drones
Waves 10, 20, 30, 40 & 50
- Bosses (Carrier, Snatcher, Swarmak or Kestrel), Scion Dropshots, Scion Mulchers, Swarm Hunters, Swarm Grenadiers, Scion Buzzkills, Swarm Drones
<color: rgb(255, 0, 0)>Waves: 1, 11, 21, 31 & 41</color: rgb(255, 0, 0)>
- DR-1 Protectors, Frag Trackers, Juvies
<color: rgb(255, 0, 0)>Waves: 2-5, 12-15, 22-25, 32-35 & 42-45</color: rgb(255, 0, 0)>
- Savage Grenadiers, DR-1 Protectors, Frag Trackers, Juvies
Waves: 6-9, 16-19, 26-29, 36-39 & 46-49
- Scion Dropshots, Pouncers, Sentinels, Savage Grenadiers, Juvies
Waves: 10, 20, 30, 40 & 50
- Bosses (Carrier or Snatcher), Scion Dropshots, Pouncers, Sentinels, Savage Grenadiers, Juvies
<color: rgb(255, 153, 0)>Enemies that are in the Gears of War 4 Campaign but not Horde</color: rgb(255, 153, 0)>
- Frag Trackers
- Heavies (DR-1 Protectors armed with Trishots/Rocket Salvos
- Swarm Snipers
- UIR Soldiers
<color: rgb(255, 153, 0)>Enemies from past Horde Modes</color: rgb(255, 153, 0)>
- Wild Tickers
- Grenadier Elites
- Flame Grenadiers
- Flame Boomers
- Armoured Kantus
- Savage Drones
- Savage Therons
- Lambent Wretches
- Lambent Drones
- Lambent Grenadiers
- Lambent Drudges
Bosses in Gears of War 3
- Lambent Berserkers
- Savage Corpsers
Also I like to know why Frag Trackers aren't in Horde. They are the only enemies in the robotics list of enemies that don't make an appearance in Horde. Is it because they are OP in Horde or some other reason? Either way, they should be in Horde because the more enemies there are, the more randomised the waves will be. Same can be said for UIR soldiers too. Like the Swarm, there's many combinations of the weapons UIR soldiers can carry in Horde. Also as I mentioned earlier, UIR soldiers and Swarm could spawn on one wave but they're shooting each other as well as you.
Maybe in the later waves of Horde say 30, two Bosses could spawn at once to not only add variety but a heck of a challenge too. I'm sure even the most experienced players would have a hard time dealing with say a Swarmak and a Snatcher or a Kestrel and a Swarmak. Or even better, watching a Kestrel shooting at a Swarmak as well them shooting at you. It's adjustments to Horde like this will improve it greatly in terms of playability and what's more fun watching a gargantuan battle between a helicopter and a dinosaur?
<color: rgb(255, 153, 0)>Suggestions to Improving Horde</color: rgb(255, 153, 0)>
- Wind Flare Boss Wave - Exact same as wave 9 enemies, but wind flare rolls in and does its thing (no lightning strikes, just wind and visibility). - Credit to DeathDealer160
- Swarm Nest Boss Wave - Swarm nests appear on the map (3 to 4 nests total) and spawn additional enemies on top of the normal wave 10 amount. The nests transform juvies and if destroyed via explosives a Scion spawns instantly somewhere on the map. - Credit to DeathDealer160
- Epic Reaper Secret Wave: Requirements needed - Complete all Bonus Objectives, No deaths from anyone in the team throughout Waves 1 - 50, Insane Mode only.
--- When on 50 wave, any map turn into dark cloud with wild lightning lot and wind. Epic Reaper will appear as special secret Boss and he will resurrect the Locust as zombies and COGs will attacks players.
--- If players beat Epic Reaper and clean 50 wave. Epic Reaper will give you unlock Skin of Emblem, weapons and characters. (cannot craft card)
--- If all players dead and fail wave, Epic Reaper will say "YOU NOT WORTH FIGHT AGAINST ME" then disappear into fade back to normal map and boss appear. - Credits to SPICYDEAFSHARK
Other Horde 3.0 Threads
Horde 3.0 - Extensive Feedback & Stop Sweeping Ground Clean of Weapons After Failed Waves
Horde 3.0 - Lobbies, Map Vote and Competitive Playlist Requests
Tac-Com's Horde Guides
The Horder' Bible - What You Must Know
So in light of all this, it's clear Horde has to be improved to get it back where it used to be. It doesn't need set waves when particular enemies spawn, it needs to all be randomised for a better and exciting experience. Can we something for Horde hopefully for TU4? Or maybe a following update behind TU3 if sooner? Horde has been like this for 3 months and I think it's high time it needs some fixes.
Post your thoughts to what you reckon can be changed in Horde. I'll love to hear what everyone's take on how it is currently to you. :)