Welcome to another What’s Up Gears fans! Every Thursday, we’re here to bring you the latest and greatest news, community content and more from the Gearsiverse.
Here’s What’s Up this week in Gears:
- Earn the Emerald Gear character as our Season 5 Character Reward
- The Season 5 Versus Challenge: 9000 Kills or Downs in 90 days
- Don't miss the last weekend of 6.66XP and Halloween festivities!
Coming Up in Gears of War 4
INTRODUCING THE EMERALD GEAR
Last Season, the Ruby Scion reflected the most dedicated Versus players out there who achieved 6000 kills in just under 90 days.
This Season, it's all about this beauty of a character - the Emerald Gear! To add the Emerald Gear to your collection, you'll need to complete a new Gears of War 4 Challenge. Beginning on November 9th, a new Xbox Challenge will be available for Gears of War 4 - 9000 Kills or Downs in Versus Playlists by February 7th. As always, you'll be able to track your progress on My Rewards and via the Xbox Guide.
Since we've already had some questions on the specifics of the challenge, here's a few things you should know:
- An instant kill (like a gib or explosive kill) will only count as 1 kill
- A down and then a kill will count as 2, since the down counts as 1 and the finish counts as 1
- Downing an enemy but having the kill stolen will still count as 1 (which would be 2 if you closed the kill)
For the most elite players out there, this is only half the challenge. To take home the Season 5 Diamond Challenge Reward, you'll need to complete the Emerald Gear challenge AND place Diamond in 3 different playlists.
Don't forget that in-season Diamond Reward claiming is only possible if you hold all 3 Diamond placements at the same time. If you are reliant on high-watermark completion (ie. you have placed Diamond in 3 playlists but only held 2 at once), you will be able to claim your reward once Season 5 stats are available a month or so after the end of the Season.
FINAL CHANCE FOR 6.66XP!
Halloween might be over, but we're still giving out a shocking (groan...) amount of XP in Gears of War 4 all weekend across Versus and Horde! We're also keeping the Lost Souls Pack, Pumpkin Ball and Monster Mash Horde (with Midnight Omen skins) around until Monday too in case you aren't quite done with spooky season.
This Week In Esports
This week’s Gears Fight Night was a special one, with the final teams from last weekend’s Charity Invitational Last Chance Qualifier tournaments battling it out to join the already qualified teams at the upcoming $200,000 event.
Regal Reserve and Team International kicked off the night, with the winning team punching their ticket to represent Europe alongside Spacestation Gaming at the November 17th-18th event. Though the evenly matched teams would go neck and neck throughout the entire match, Team International would go on to narrowly edge out the top seeded Regal Reserve in round 13 of map two to take the final EU spot in the Invitational behind a 7-5, 7-6 score.
The next match, between North American squads Simpicity and Extortion, was considerably less close. With both teams already locking their spots in for the Invitational by making it to the finals, the only thing on the line here was bragging rights.
Bragging rights went solely to Simplicity, who went on to roll Extortion 7-1 in their best of one match. Both teams are qualified, but whether or not Extortion can amount to the call has yet to be seen.
With that, the teams set to compete at the $200,000 Gears Pro Circuit Charity Invitational on November 17th and 18th, live from MLG Studios in Columbus, Ohio are:
North America: OpTic Gaming, Fury, Ghost Gaming, Reciprocity, Rise Nation, Hive, Simplicity, and Extortion
Europe: Spacestation Gaming, and Team International
Latin America: OpTic Mexico, and LATAM Gods
Museum of Community Glory
Greetings Gears, Vectes here, back with our Gears Creator Spotlight, featuring this week another aspiring content creator. Our intent is to feature these fans once a month. While they might have recently started to create Gears of War content, their channel being small for now, continues to show some promising growth.
Introducing Mr. Caymanian. On his channel, you will find videos mainly showcasing new characters/weapons packs but also multiplayer gameplay, an entire walkthrough of the Gears of War 4 campaign in inconceivable difficulty and most – if not all – executions available in the game!
Be sure to check our recommended videos:
Core Escalation – Multiplayer Gameplay
All executions with Aaron Griffin (because we can never get enough of Griffin)
Are you a Gears Video Creator in the community? Tweet a link to your channel to @CoalitionGears with #WhatsUpGears for a chance to be featured in What’s Up next week! Everyone featured will receive the TCA Commendation Lancer.
Come In, Control
- My Stats on http://GearsofWar.com has now been updated with Season 4 placement stats. Season 4 Rewards can now be claimed.
- We have deployed a server-side fix to address users impacted by Error 0x00000d1c. If you were previously impacted by this issue, you can now attempt to play Horde again
- The Ranked Escalation Map Rotation has now been updated to more closely reflect the new Esports Map Rotation
- My Rewards page is now updated with all Season 5 Weapon Skin Rewards and the two new Stay Frosty challenges Rewards
- Screenshots can now be submitted again in Gears 2, which is the required step to unlock the Photojournalist achievement
- Gears 4 latest Game Update went live on October 9. Please click here to read the Update Notes
- Season 5 stats including 2v2 Gnashers are now accessible on GearsofWar.com stats page
Join us later today at 3PM PT/ 6PM ET for our Gears Weekly Live Stream from right here at The Coalition!
Don't miss your first chance to grab a weapon skin for the Lancer from a brand new weapon set, play with us and get your questions answered. We will see you on https://live.gearsofwar.com